American Beauty Dragon Fruit Plant – Hylocereus guatemalensis – Red Fruit
American Beauty Dragon Fruit Plant is a red flesh dragon fruit plant and an easy to grow Hylocereus that grows well and is a reliable bloomer/fruit producer. It is self fertile, cross or hand pollination is not required.
Usually blooms mid to late summer as it likes the heat, fruit is usually ripe by late summer or fall.
The American Beauty dragon fruits grow on long, thin, vining cactus’s that are often seen growing on trellises but also up trees, fences or walls.
American Beauty dragon fruits, or Pitaya Roja, are botanically classified as Hylocereus guatemalensis and are a Guatemalan dragon fruit variety.
The red-fleshed dragon fruits are rarer than the yellow skinned variety, and are not nearly as widely available as the white-fleshed variety.
- Self pollinating, very fertile – no hand pollination required
- Produces 1/2 – 1 lb fruit – Red/Magenta Colored Fruit
- Fruits are Pink with light green scales
- Zone 10-11 unless grown indoors or in greenhouses
- Plants are shipped in 2.5″ x 2.5″ pots and are between 4″-8+” Tall
- Plants are tissue cultured clones of the mother plant.